Donna's Reviews > Skinwalker

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, 2011-read, favorite-series, kindle
Read from March 26 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

Jane Yellowrock has become my newest book heroine, I rank her up there with Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels. Jane Yellowrock character is vulnerable on the inside but hides behind bravado, a strong show of sarcasm and wit. She also calls them like she see them, and that including giving people she meets instant nicknames, which were good for a few laughs for example one character who looked like he belonged in the WWF so Jane called WWF instead of by his real name. The most appealing characteristic about Jane is that she is a strong woman whose compassionate with a free-spirit personality. She is someone you'd want to get to know.

As you can tell from my description of Jane, the main draw for me while reading Skinwalker was the main character but the other characters were just as interesting. Skinwalker was a character driven story whose characters are colorful, easily recognizable and associated with real people. A character driven novel will almost always grab my attention but with Skinwalker I got the added bonus of the dark, gritty (may be an overused word in urban fantasy but fits perfect here) and fascinating world building also. Faith Hunter was able to describe and give atmosphere the book’s setting in New Orleans, you could almost smell the food, hear the soulful Jazz on in the French Quarter and feel the wet heat that it's know for.

The mystery in Skinwalker was so tight and elusive, I was left guessing until the end as to who was the rogue. I was so immensely curious about Jane and finding out who was the rogue, that Skinwalker was constantly on my mind when I wasn’t reading it. And the rogue was one scary dude. And I do mean scary, he crosses all lines into being a terrifyingly evil villain.

There are hints at some possible future romances but nothing concrete with the story’s main focus on getting know Jane and her interesting past, learning with her as she deals with her love/hate relationship with her dual souls, a panther she calls the Beast, while tracking the rogue.

I'll have to admit that the beginning of this book, it took some getting use to the inner dialog between Jane and the Beast. Eventually I fell into the flow of it and was able to follow their dialogs, I ended up enjoying the flow of the writing style.

This is actually a post-review after reading the other books in the series. Skinwalker was such a terrific read that I immediately launched into reading the next two books out so far in this series. After reading those, I'm of the opinion that the Jane Yellowrock series is a must for readers of urban fantasy, an absolute must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinwalker.

03/29/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristi-The Book Faery Nice review, Donna!

Donna Thanks Kristi :)

Nicole I love the Kate Daniels series, so I will have to try this one! Thanks :)

Donna You're welcome! Hope you like this series as much as I do.

message 5: by Shaiel (new)

Shaiel I really love Mercy Thompson series, so ithanks for recommending this!

Donna Shaiel, you're welcome. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Jane Yellowrock!