Deb's Reviews > Garden Spells

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Jan 21, 15

bookshelves: foodie-books, foodie-fiction, chick-lit, fiction, re-reading, cook-the-books
Read from June 22 to 25, 2011

My second reading of this book, this time for Cook the Books. Enchanting story, likable characters. I am an Addison Allen fan so it was nice to revisit this foodie novel.

Review Excerpt:
The Waverley women have always been seen as different in their small Southern town of Bascom, North Carolina because of their peculiar gifts or powers. Older sister Claire has turned her gift for growing and cooking with plants, herbs and flowers into a successful catering business, but she sticks close to home and the unusual Waverley garden and she has trouble letting people get close. Her food causes those who eat it to think, feel and do things according to the different charms and properties of the plants, but nothing seems to work to resolve her own fear of being abandoned since her mother left her and her sister when they were young. Claire's younger sister Sydney chose to follow their mother's pattern and run away from her past, the town and her gift, but with nowhere else to go, Sydney and her young daughter Bay seek refuge with Claire, and the two estranged sisters start to form a bond.

I am a big fan of all of Addison Allen's books, but Garden Spells was the first one I read a few years ago and it holds a special place in my heart. It's a fun and charming novel with characters who are all unique and engaging--including an apple tree that has a personality of its own. It's a fairy tale story for foodies--sweet and magical but with some darker moments woven in, and it is an irresistible summer read that will have you headed for your garden to make some magic of your own.

You can read my full review post and see a recipe inspired by the book here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden Spells.

06/23/2011