Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)'s Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

I think that I definitely did this the wrong way round. After watching the film, I read the book and, admittedly, I was expecting something completely different. I did enjoy this book as it was a short read, but also long enough to pose some somewhat philosophical questions and allow me to wonder about the mind and what we consider sanity. Within this book, I thought the copies of documents from the hospital stay added a great new element. This is definitely less of a 'story' and more of a book that allows you to think.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Susanna Kaysen
“Suicide is a form of murder - premeditated murder. It isn't something you do the first time you think of doing it. It takes getting used to. And you need the means, the opportunity, the motive. A successful suicide demands good organization and a cool head, both of which are usually incompatible with the suicidal state of mind.”

Susanna Kaysen
“Scar tissue has no character. It's not like skin. It doesn't show age or illness or pallor or tan. It has no pores, no hair, no wrinkles. It's like a slip cover. It shields and disguises what's beneath. That's why we grow it; we have something to hide. ”

Susanna Kaysen
“Crazy isn't being broken or swallowing a dark secret. It's you or me amplified. If you ever told a lie and enjoyed it. If you ever wished you could be a child forever.”

Susanna Kaysen
“Was insanity just a matter of dropping the act?”

Susanna Kaysen
“When you’re sad you need to hear your sorrow structured into sound.”

Nicola Hmm I agree.