Ross's Reviews > The Sea Came in at Midnight

The Sea Came in at Midnight by Steve Erickson

Jul 13, 09

Read in July, 2009

This was the craziest thing I've read in some time. But I mean that in a good way. This a very surreal look at our lives, how our memories are important to us, and tries to answer questions about what's missing in our existence.
The story begins with Kristen, who is working at a "memory hotel" in Tokyo, when her client dies. Waiting for the proper people to pick up the body, she begins to tell him her story, starting a year before, on December 31st, 1999. From her encounters with cults, crazy lesbians, and the apocalypse expert known only as "the Occupant", the tale weaves through nearly thirty years. It tells of the Occupant's realization that the millennium actually ended in 1968, and goes on to cover the various journeys of several people that he and Kristen encounter.
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was very trippy, and at times hard to follow. A lot of really good phrases though, I found this very quotable. Despite the fairly surreal and abstract way the book functioned, it was definitely one of the more interesting and enjoyable books I've read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea Came in at Midnight.

Quotes Ross Liked

Steve Erickson
“If I had it to do all over again . . . I wouldn't change a thing.'. . . the final expression of narcissism, the last gesture of self-congratulation.”
Steve Erickson, The Sea Came in at Midnight