Andrea's Reviews > Island

Island by Aldous Huxley

Aug 05, 09

bookshelves: lost-book-club, 2009
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I had a hard time getting into this book and I'll tell you why: it was heavy on philosophy and light on story. I think given the right frame of mind I probably would've enjoyed it more. It would make a fantastic project for a high school senior, to read this and Brave New World and compare the two utopian societies. A lot of the same themes were used only instead of an ugly, controlled society this was a free and "ideal" society.
For instance the use of drugs in Island was geared toward attaining a sort of spiritual enlightenment, whereas in Brave New World the population was dosed with narcotics to keep them pliable and under control.
There are many more of these parallels, and Huxley seems rather obsessed with child sex and Freud.
If you can get through long, long, LONG passages about the philosophy of the fictional people of this fictional island it's really not awful, just dry.
I appreciated the end in which Huxley admits that an ideal society such as this cannot last for some of the the same reasons it is ideal: they're pacifists and they have no army. Unfortunately for them their natural resources, oil, are plenty. And what happens to a peaceful anti-war society with no guns that happens to be living on black gold?
Never good things.

All-in-all it was just okay, but I'm glad I read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island.

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jul 28, 2009 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andrea god i'm almost done with this book and so far i just can't stand it. it's just not really very good and the fact that i'm reading it for a book club that gave it a deadline has all but made me HATE it.

can't wait to finish it tonight.