Corrine's Reviews > Hidden Currents

Hidden Currents by Christine Feehan

2084774
Sometimes when I read a book quickly I get a reading "high" and think, Man this is one of the best books I've ever read, only to think about it for a few days and realize there were glaring flaws that I just didn't catch in my euphoria. This might be one of those cases, but I don't care. I loved this book, it's the book I've been waiting the whole series for.

Elle Drake is the 7th daughter of a 7th daughter, and as such, she will carry on the Drake legacy. She's known for years that Jackson Deveau is her soulmate, but he resisted at every turn, thinking he wasn't good enough to carry on the legacy, but loving Elle nonetheless. Elle eventually became fed up and dedicated her life to helping others by working undercover in dangerous situations. Her latest, to stop a human trafficking gang, has put her in the clutches of Stavros Gratsos, a Greek shipping magnate with a penchant for sadism and sexual slavery. He captures Elle and puts her through hell for a month. And it was brutal, enough that if you are squeamish you might not want to read it. Through it all Jackson is in Elle's head, comforting her and desperately trying to get her to keep living all while he and the Drakes search for her.

When Elle comes home, she's broken - psychically, mentally and physically. She doesn't want to subject her sisters to the horrors she's been through, so she clings to Jackon, and Jackson does everything he can to bring Elle back from the brink. He's a total sweetheart, the badass with the soft heart - taking care of lonely people and the elderly in Sea Haven, and cherishing Elle no matter what, although there are times he can't control his autocratic instincts, but they don't phase Elle. I love watching Elle find her self and her love for Jackson again, and I loved Jackson finally realizing that what he had been through (he was a prisoner of war) didn't make him any less because Elle hadn't been diminished in his eyes by going through her ordeal.

All of the Drake sisters finally get their happy endings, and so does the whole town of Sea Haven. Excellent ending to this series. A-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Currents.

07/08/2009 page 317
71.88% "I've already cried - three times!"
07/09/2009 page 441
100.0% "Very good, review to follow later."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Great review, Corrine! Is this a good series? I've not read any Feehan, yet.

I too have rated books 4-5 stars after the 'reading high', and then later think, "hmmm what was I thinking with that one?"

Corrine The first few books are meh. I think Dangerous Tides is the best of the what I call the "lighter" Drakes, but the last three, including this one have been very good.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Awesome review, Corrine. A lot of readers on Amazon gave this bad reviews because of her ordeal. I am eager to read this book although dreading what she goes through the same.

You always write insightful, observant reviews. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Corrine Thanks, Danielle!

I can't believe people rated this down because of CF showing that part. IMO it makes the rest of the story just that more powerful because you know what Elle is recovering from and what Jackson saw with her.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That's what I am thinking. Feehan has never been a light writer. Her characters do a lot of suffering. I guess I don't understand the backlash all of the sudden.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Corrine! Never read anything by Feehan, but your review makes me want too. :)

message 7: by Hms (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hms Just finished chapter 3 and can see why some people are complaining. It was very difficult to see what the heroine experiences.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I can imagine it's hard to read, but going back to her other books, her characters go through some pretty awful stuff. Granted, Ken didn't get raped but he got cut all over his body, even his privates. I just don't see this as an aberration from her usual work.

message 9: by Hms (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hms I guess the difference for me is that is was "talked" about and you did not go through it with the hero/heroine. In Burning Wild it was almost a story of his child hood and the abuse he suffered. I loved Burning Wild and rated it a 5*. I am only on Chapter 4 of Hidden Currents and so far I really like it, but at the same time it as just so sad to see the heroine experience what she is going through.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That makes total sense, HMS. I imagine I will be bawling when I read it.