Corrine's Reviews > My Wicked Marquess

My Wicked Marquess by Gaelen Foley

2084774
Jul 07, 09

bookshelves: regency-uk-historical, deceitful-hero-or-heroine, spy-hero-or-heroine
Read in July, 2009

There were some spots I loved and some spots I disliked, and too many spots that were just mediocre in this uneven beginning to this series.

Max, Lord Rotherstone, has just returned from his successful mission during Waterloo, and he is dead-set on doing his duty by his title and making his family name more respectable. To do this, he asks his lawyer to draw up a list of potential brides who are beyond reproach. The fifth name on the list, Daphne Starling, intrigues him because she has just rejected a proposal from Max's boyhood nemesis, and so Max begins his investigation. What he finds is that Daphne is kind, generous, and stunningly beautiful, and his search for a bride goes no further.

Daphne is bemused when the Demon Marquess flirts with her and steps in several times to protect her. She finds him attractive and mysterious, but his reputation precedes him. He's a member of the infamous Inferno Club, he traveled the whole world during war for nothing more than a whim, and she herself saw him leaving a brothel. Nonetheless, she can't stay away, and though she is furious when she finds out that her father has accepted Max's proposal on her behalf after only a few meetings, she can't say no to his charm. Until she begins to realize that there is something that Max is keeping from her and she can never really know him or trust him until he opens himself to her.

Daphne skirts the edge of begin TSTL: visiting bad parts of London to help orphans, running away from home, visiting an infamous man's house without a chaperone, but I couldn't really dislike her. She jumps to conclusions like it's a pasttime and is very naive and managing. It's clear, though, that all she really wants is Max's whole heart, and when he won't give it to her, she goes to great lengths to dissuade him from his goal.

I didn't even dislike Max. He was a good hero, if a little too autocratic at times and definitely deceitful, but he was trained to be that way from a very young age. He held a lot of bitterness and hurt, and wanted more than anything for Daphne to love him.

The main problem I had with this story was it seemed very choppy, and like too many stories blended into one. It had the do-gooding protector of orphans like London's Perfect Scoundrel by Suzanne Enoch, the rakish-but-hurt and somewhat overly-dramatic hero like Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase, and a spy storyline very like the Liars' Club series by Celeste Bradley. Had I not read any of these books previously, I'm sure I would have enjoyed this one much better. In fact, had I never read a Gaelen Foley novel before, I probably would have enjoyed this one better as well, because compared to the Knights Miscellany series, this one falls far short. Although I will probably read the rest of the series. :D C+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Wicked Marquess.

07/06/2009 page 0
07/06/2009 page 165
44.12% "I had to lay down and take a nap halfway through this one. Of course, I have the stomach flu, so that might have someting to do with it." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by seton (new) - added it

seton Looks like a bunch of our mutual friends are reading this one. Wish I could join y'all but I have a few bks that I needs to get to first this week.

Corrine I didn't even know GF had another book coming out, this was an impulse buy.

message 3: by ChloeLeeNH (new) - added it

ChloeLeeNH This was under the radar for me too. I haven't picked it up but I think I won't rush to do so yet. Interested to hear what people are saying about the new Julia Quinn book though... her last 3 were just sort of UGH for me.

message 4: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Corrine! I haven't read any GF yet and this one doesn't look like the best place to start. I'd better check the Knights Miscellany series.

Corrine Dina, yes, definitely start with The Duke - it's a fan favorite, although not my particular taste. I love Lord of Fire, Lord of Ice and Lady of Desire.

message 7: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks, Corrine!

♡Karlyn P♡ spot on review Corrine. I just finished the book myself and completely agree. I too will probably read the next in the series as there really was potential for better, but I dont expect this series to compare even closely to the Knight series.

message 9: by Nikki ♥ (new) - added it