Nafiza's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Mar 27, 2013

bookshelves: 2013, top-100, books-i-own
Read from December 02, 2012 to January 02, 2013

I’m not sure if it’s even possible to write a review in the traditional sense of the word where this book is concerned. I’m sure someone more attuned to their intellectual self, someone who can separate their visceral reaction from an objective one and look at this novel purely as a work of reviewable literature will be able to break it apart into literary techniques and chapters. Personally though, I cannot tell you what I thought about this novel as much as I can tell you how I responded to it.

Murakami’s works, if you have read any, are infinitely readable. Even though what we are reading is a translation, the writer is very much involved in the actual translation as his command of English is very good so we can be secure that we are not “missing” or being led astray in anyway. Obviously, we are not experiencing the narrative, the story, in the way it was intended to because translation does, unavoidably, lose a lot of the story but eh. Anyway, this novel is strange. It’s quirky. It opens doors into your psyche and makes you go places you do not want to go. The main character spends most of his time at the bottom of a well trying to break into the third dimension, or is it the fourth one, anyway, to break into something. A room where a woman resides. There are many colourful characters who appear and disappear, there are many short narratives that are told, impart something and then are stored away only to be brought out at strange and unexpected intervals.

The magical realism displayed in this book holds it together and this book weds fact and fiction to create one of the strangest stories I have read. There is a lack of emotion, an ennui about the main character that gradually crumbles. His relationships with various women are interesting. His control over his own life is rather tenuous and you always expect him to shatter but he surprises you and remains in one piece, stronger, perhaps, than you thought he was going to be.

This book demands a long commitment, being 611 pages long but it doesn’t feel too long, if you know what I mean. It isn’t for everyone and it will take a brave reader to appreciate it. But if you want to read something that will make you think outside the box, I recommend this.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

12/02/2012 page 45
7.0% "Yay!"
12/27/2012 page 206
33.0% "This has gotten most intriguing."
12/29/2012 page 314
51.0% "So very awesome."
12/30/2012 page 396
64.0% "I don't know how he spends so much time at the bottom of a well. Claustrophobic me can't even read that without shuddering."
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Zee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zee Hope you are enjoying it.

Nafiza I am! I love Murakami. I like that I have to read it slowly so I can absorb the story and everything that's said.

Scarlet It opens doors into your psyche and makes you go places you do not want to go.

Could not agree more. This is the only book of Murakami's that I've read and I absolutely loved it!

Nafiza Read more! Haha.

Scarlet Which ones would you recommend??

Nafiza I really like After Dark and Kafka on the Shore.