Sara's Reviews > Huge

bookshelves: 2010, adult-fiction, mystery
Recommended to Sara by: People magazine
Recommended for: no one
Read from January 25 to 26, 2010

This book is amazing - but not in a good way. It revolves around a foul-mouthed 12-year-old wannabe detective named Huge, who's hired by his grandma to investigate the mystery of who tagged the sign at her retirement home. The mystery is fun enough, though the resolution to it is underwhelming, and most of the book plodded along awkwardly.

I have absolutely no idea who is the target audience of this book. It's shelved with adult fiction but the main character is 12, and the text is WILDLY inappropriate for the typical crowd that reads about 12 year olds. Actually, I think most people in general would find parts of it wildly inappropriate. Not that I'd recommend this book to anyone, but if I wanted to... who would I even recommend it to?

So many scenes were awkward and uncomfortable, Huge wasn't very believable as a 12 year old, and the writing, although occasionally witty enough to make me smile, did not tell an interesting or realistic enough story to hold my attention. And, certain scenes left me going "ick". Never a good sign. Lots of characters were introduced and scenes were shown without purpose, and much of the book, while purporting to be about the mystery holding the story together, felt completely gratuitous. The more I read, the less I liked, as the bit of charm in the beginning faded away and was replaced by awkwardness and ridiculousness.

I can't believe I actually finished this (though, to be fair, I skimmed a lot of it after a while). I was interested in the mystery, and the funny lines in the beginning that I remembered made me curious enough to read on, but overall, I didn't enjoy it much. And, like I said before, the resolution to the mystery was a let down. Ho hum. Now, to move on to another book and purge the squicky scenes from this book from my mind!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Huge.