Dawn's Reviews > The Fixer Upper

The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews

520526
Jul 11, 09

Read in July, 2009

If you're working on a fixer-upper (like my husband and I), and looking for some literary respite...skip this. Dempsey Killebrew loses her DC lobbying job, and ends up trying to fix up her family's crumbling antebellum mansion in Georgia. She miraculously develops super-renovating abilities (don't get me started on how fast she learns and works--it defies the laws of time and space), and finds a handyman who works at about 1/10th the going rate and ten times as fast as the average contractor.

My husband literally had to take the book away from me when I read that some old guy with the hots for young Dempsey had sanded (with a hand sander, no less), primered, and painted the bottom half of the front of Dempsey's 4,000 square foot house while she was away at the grocery store. There is just no way! After that, I skipped past the detailed descriptions of everyone's clothing and hair, and how the author repeated sections of plot like we needed a refresher from last week's soap opera highlights. I figured there had to be a payoff at the end. There was, sort of, but it's about as satisfying as a boot to the head after a long day of, say, working on an actual fixer-upper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fixer Upper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Looks like a good one for you!

Also, have you seen The Money Pit? Absolutely hilarious.

Dawn Christine wrote: "Looks like a good one for you!

Also, have you seen The Money Pit? Absolutely hilarious."

So far, the book is okay--although there is no way one woman could do so much work in such a short time. I wish Paul and I could have a montage sequence to speed things up.

Paul and I both like The Money Pit. Every time we wonder how long it will take to finish a project, one of us will say, "Two weeks!"