Holly's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Nov 09, 11

Read from October 30 to November 08, 2011

Loved it. I'm not at all interested in racing cars, but this gave me some insight I appreciated. It was also fantastically written from a dogs perspective, which is always fun, and I thought, done very well in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Quotes Holly Liked

Garth Stein
“Here's why I will be a good person. Because I listen. I cannot talk, so I listen very well. I never deflect the course of the conversation with a comment of my own. People, if you pay attention to them, change the direction of one another's conversations constantly. It's like being a passenger in your car who suddenly grabs the steering wheel and turns you down a side street. For instance, if we met at a party and I wanted to tell you a story about the time I needed to get a soccer ball in my neighbor's yard but his dog chased me and I had to jump into a swimming pool to escape, and I began telling the story, you, hearing the words "soccer" and "neighbor" in the same sentence, might interrupt and mention that your childhood neighbor was Pele, the famous soccer player, and I might be courteous and say, Didn't he play for the Cosmos of New York? Did you grow up in New York? And you might reply that, no, you grew up in Brazil on the streets of Tres Coracoes with Pele, and I might say, I thought you were from Tennessee, and you might say not originally, and then go on to outline your genealogy at length. So my initial conversational gambit - that I had a funny story about being chased by my neighbor's dog - would be totally lost, and only because you had to tell me all about Pele. Learn to listen! I beg of you. Pretend you are a dog like me and listen to other people rather than steal their stories.”

Garth Stein
“That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me.”

Garth Stein
“Somewhere, the zebra is dancing.”

Garth Stein
“I don't understand why people insist on pitting concepts of evolution and creation against each other. Why can't they see that spiritualism and science are one? That bodies evolve and souls evolve and the universe is a fluid package that marries them both in a wonderful package called a human being. What's wrong with that idea?”

Garth Stein
“So much of language is unspoken. So much of language is compromised of looks and gestures and sounds that are not words. People are ignorant of the vast complexity of their own communication.”