Dana's Reviews > Death in a Prairie House: Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Murders

Death in a Prairie House by William R. Drennan

Jul 16, 09

Read in July, 2009

This was actually pretty good, in spite of the intellectual writing style, which tends to be a wee bit boring at times, especially when I wanted him to cut to the chase. The author did do an excellant job of researching a part of Wright's life that is pretty much kept under wraps. It was a pretty big scandal at the time, prominent person leaves his wife and six kids for another woman, also married with two kids. He builds her a dream home where they can shack up together in a rural community in southwestern Wisconisn. I found it amusing that the townspeople had to be talked out of going to Taliesen to tar and feather Wright and his mistress. It wasn't until the latter part of the book that the author gets to the meat of this particular story - who killed the mistress, her children, and some workmen - and why. I don't want to give away much about this, so I won't go into it - you'll just have to read it. I must say that I was interested in this story to begin with because there is a legend that says that Taliesen is haunted by - who depends on which version you hear/read. The most prominent is that the victims were taken to an out building on the property and Mamah (Wright's mistress) died there waiting for help and she is the one who is haunting the place. This book clears up what happened and where and it certainly doesn't verify the legends. I do recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in a Prairie House.