Shana's Reviews > Tears of the Giraffe

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith

Jul 03, 2009

Read in June, 2009

This is the other book in the No. 1 series that I read in London and on a Welsh walkabout, and it was a great great choice. In a weird way, it reminded me a bit of Trollope, but I want to explain that before I give the wrong impression to anyone who doesn't love Trollope as much as I do.

There's a certain kind of stylist (and Trollope was a master) who takes you to psychological truth and real insight into human character and a specific world, which doesn't find expression in a "noticeable" writing style. I don't mean that the writing style is anonymous in any way, but more that it doesn't call attention to itself the way some other styles do, and that's why it's so masterly and deceptively simple. I guess it's like wandering in parts of Italy where you're just going down some street and every time you turn the corner on what seems like a routine journey, you find yourself at a wonderful plaza or fountain or view. That's why I will probably read everything in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears of the Giraffe.