Catherine From's Reviews > Fleeing Fundamentalism: A Minister's Wife Examines Faith

Fleeing Fundamentalism by Carlene Cross

F 50x66
Jul 03, 09

Read in March, 2009

As a Bible College graduate myself, I felt Cross's Bible College experience was extreme. She was taught what to think and not necessarily how to think. It's an unfortunate tragedy among the fundamentalist.

As I read this book, it melted my preconceived ideas. Months later, I can't get some of the arguments out of my head. It's a riveting and disturbing story. I felt at the end as if I was only half way through.

I think the sad element of a story like this is that it defines God by the experiences we have with people who claim to follow him or serve him. It's hard to separate the opinions formed when exposed to abusive leaders and realize that God ultimately cares and is concerned for our hearts. The intention of the heart matters more than outward appearances.

It's a must read, but it should be kept in mind that this is one person's experience with religion. There are many great stories of people who have not experienced such loss and heartache at the hands of poor leaders or even poor discipleship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fleeing Fundamentalism.