Rachael's Reviews > Desert Solitaire

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

Sep 14, 07

This is one of the few books I don't own that I really really really wish I did. I love this book. It makes me want to pack up my Jeep and head out for Moab. I love Abbey's descriptions of the desert, the rivers, and the communion with solitude that he learns to love over the course two years as a ranger at Arches National Park.

Abbey explores environmentalism and government policies on the national parks. It wasn't my favorite part of the book, but he manages to do it in such a way that it's not too invasive. What makes this book really work for me is the sheer love that Abbey has for Arches and Canyonlands, and the way in which he manages to make me believe I'm right there on the red rock with him. It's the literary equivalent of Ansel Adams.

Oh, and I love how he throws beer cans out his truck window as he's meditating on the destruction of the wilderness by tourists and the government. Classic.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Solitaire.

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Darragh If you'd really like to own it, you can find it on Amazon for under a buck. Of course, you have to pay $4 shipping but if you bundle it in with a larger order that offers free shipping it's a steal.