Tiana's Reviews > A Son of the Circus

A Son of the Circus by John Irving

Aug 07, 09

Read in August, 1988

This book took a little time to get into because like many of John Irving's books, it is very dense and you have to read it very careful or you might miss something. It took longer to read than I do most books because of its very intricate 680 pages in tiny font.

Anyways, as all Irving's book every little details is important to the overall part of the story. Every character, every event. I love how everything becomes related. I've only read this one and Owen Meany, but Irving is very successful in telling a story through different character's memories and flashbacks. You get to relive their experiences and discover how they turned out the way they are. In a Son of the Circus, all the important characters are messed up in their own way. There's alot of sexual confusion.

This was a great murder mystery, but the point of the story wasn't really the mystery as you discover when reading the book. This thriller at times can be dark, but all of a sudden there is a little bit of comical relief that is simply hilarious. I've laughed out loud to parts of the book a many of times.

All in all i quite enjoyed this book, it was very well written. You just need to have a little bit of patience in the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Son of the Circus.

07/22/2009 page 32