Stephanie's Reviews > Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Jul 28, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy, fiction, look-at-life, mystery, scifi
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I read this because of Blade Runner, a movie my mom likes a lot. She always wondered whether or not Deckard himself was an android, and I wondered if the book would solve the mystery. I never cared enough for the movie to remember much of it, personally.

But this book took the movie and added way, way more. I'm so glad the movie didn't just try to be a carbon-copy of the book -- it couldn't have done that. It works out so much better. From the introduction to the mood shifting devices Deckard and his wife use in the beginning (cuh-reeeepy!) to the religion of Mercerism, the "added dimension", as the introduction to my copy alludes to, really helps push the story along. It's no longer something to look at and forget about after the movie's over. There are a lot of issues in this book that you have to grapple with on your own later. What if the androids just wanted a better life? What if they wouldn't hurt anyone? What if Mercerism isn't real -- and why isn't anyone creeped out by the communal experience?

There is a lot in this book to digest, and now I want to read more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.