Kyle Johnson's Reviews > The Depths of Time

The Depths of Time by Roger MacBride Allen

M 50x66
Jul 02, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction

Much like I said in my review of Bright of the Sky, I wanted to give this book a 4-star rating. In this case though, it wasn't Roger Allen MacBride's writing style that disappointed, it was his rushed ending. The book started out brilliantly, I read the first 100+ pages almost without stopping. In fact, because I was on vacation and didn't have access to a bookstore, I had to force myself not to finish the book as quickly as I might have!

First though, a minor complaint. FictionConnection, a resource my library system (and perhaps yours) provides access to, has been pretty good about showing me books similar to the title I've searched for. Typically, I search for Pandora's Star or The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton, click the Find Similar button, and start browsing. In this case, I was trying to limit myself to recent books, as I was leaving soon for a 2-week vacation and had planned on sharing books with my father. The Depths of Time showed up on the list, and the description (or maybe the Publisher's Weekly review) painted the book as having a great handle on time-travel. This certainly interested me, as the concept is always interesting but the execution often leaves my head spinning. Causality can be a huge monkey wrench in the works it becomes distracting (Star Trek is a prime example, except "Cause and Effect" oddly enough). In the case of The Depths of Time, its preventing causality that gets to be a distracting issue. But worse still, time-travel actually has little to do with the story beyond those first tense, exciting 100 or so pages.

Eventually, I suspect I will read the next book in this apparent series. I'm not really sure what I expect to get out of it, though. The end of The Depths of Time obviously points the way to book 2, but doesn't really hint at an interesting plot. The great opening to book 1 gets explained, vaguely, at the end. Sadly though, its explanation curtails the potential for another such scene in the next book. While I haven't looked yet, I suspect reviews on Amazon.com for the next book won't be quite as good as they were for this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Depths of Time.