Wendy's Reviews > First Orchid for Pat

First Orchid for Pat by Anne Emery

Mar 20, 08

Hey, Constance, here's a high school play book for you--but the play aspects are not really that well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Orchid for Pat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy There are plays in a lot of Emery's books -- mostly operettas, though. Constance, I presume you know about "Break a Leg" (or its alternate title, "New Girl") by Stella Pevsner?

message 2: by CLM (last edited Mar 20, 2008 11:55AM) (new)

CLM Yes, but had forgotten that completely, and only remembered her book about the girl with the quint siblings.

Although I read every Emery (and was sort of morbidly fascinated with Anne Archer), I never thought they were as good as Cavanna, Weber or Lambert.

Wendy And here I've never liked the Lambert or Cavanna books all that much (I've liked the Cavannas I've come across as an adult better than I liked them as a teenager, but I'm still not seeking them out)--and much as I love Weber, I think many of the books are sort of sloppy--the inconsistencies, the repetition, etc. Also, Emery's characters seemed more real or normal to me than the characters in Beany, who didn't seem to inhabit any kind of real world (Katie Rose and Stacy did, though--and maybe that's why it's so jarring for me when Belford and Malone interact).

Sigh. Why won't anyone pay us to dissect vintage teen fiction like this? I think we're awfully good.