Tiffany Wacaser's Reviews > Pomegranate Soup

Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran

Jul 02, 09

Delectable! I think Marsha Mehran weaves a very convincing story of three Iranian women who escaped the Iranian revolution. The sisters flee to England and eventually end up in a small village in Ireland in 1986. They start a small Iranian cafe. Each chapter starts with an Iranian recipe (the recipes had my mouth watering!) and then the chapter weaves the food into the narrative. I liked the mixture of the history lessons on Iranian food, culture and revolution. Each sister must confront the memories of her past and try to find peace and hope for the future. The story has some dark moments, for the memories of living in Iran and escaping are dark and frightening. But above all, the author infuses the story with hope as Marjan creates a home for her sisters and builds a wonderful cafe. I found the hopeful tone of the story wonderful and uplifting.

Be warned though. The recipes sound pretty wonderful and if you are anything like me, you'll be tempted to figure out how to get rose petals to cook with!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pomegranate Soup.