Markus's Reviews > Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe

Sep 14, 07

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2007

Bryson at his worst. He is the whining American tourist he claims to detest. Meandering through a dozen or so european countries, he manages to complain about virtually every hotel accomodation. And for christ sake Bill, put a freakin map in your book. I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to european geography but if youre gonna write about travelling hundreds of miles every other day, i'd like to glance at the route with out having to bust out my world atlas.
After Shorthistoryof nearly everything i was so high on him, now this...
52 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neither Here nor There.

02/15 marked as: read

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Staddon And how wonderful this book would be if he had only stayed in 5-star extravagance and praised every second of it.
How much more useful to us if he had only included a map of mainland Europe!
One-star? Pathetic.

Markus a picture is worth 1000 words. even 1000 shitty ones.

Lisa Now who's whining?

Markus Me

Markus any more compelling questions?

Leelo Absolutely agree about the whining, it did get annoying.

Ellen The whining was part of the fun for me. Anyone ever heard of tongue-in-cheek?

Deirdre I totally agree with Markus. I found it snarky, not funny. I have lived in Europe as an American and yet Bryson's take on it was totally alien to me. It was my first Bryson book so I will have to pay more attention to the reviews before I pick another.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz D., I haven't read this one but I like Bryson a lot. A Short History of Nearly Everything and Mother Tongue are both really good. I know he's lived in England for something like 30 years so maybe like Ellen said, he was going for tongue in cheek but it didn't come across?

message 10: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Vellekoop Totally disagree. i think it is one of the funniest books I have ever read and a feast of recognition. "Whining"??? I guess you missed the point and probably have another sense of humor. As a European I love it.

message 11: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Vellekoop And it definitely was all tongue in cheek with a lot of self mockery.

Mr. Fluffynson I disagree completely. The whining was the best ingredient of the book. I do not understand how the book would be any good if he just described everything as amazing and pretty and blahblah. He also visited my country and I found that chapter hilarious! But honestly... a map of Europe?

Markus i love maps