Deb's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Oct 08, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, classics, bookclub
Recommended for: People who are working on developing the virtues of patience and perseverance.
Read in September, 2007

I'm disgusted with myself, but I actually ended up liking this book in spite of how much I hated reading it. I know I'm supposed to give it 5 stars because it's a classic, but I won't. Sometimes having and edgy writing style goes over the edge and becomes just plain abusive to the reader.

I spent the first half of the book thinking that the boy Quentin had a sex change operation at some point. Really, two Quentin's, two Jason's and two Maury's is just too much for a novel. I say this being fully aware that this sort of thing happens frequently in real life (having a father, brother, nephew, and two uncles all named Bruce can make for interesting misunderstandings).

Favorite character: Dilsey! She was the only one with heart in this book, with the possible exception of Caddy. I say possible because we only see Caddie as being admirable through the eyes of Benjy. But Dilsey had common sense, as well as self sacrificing love for those around her, sometimes to a fault. She saw through Luster's devilment, Jason's hypocrisy, and Mrs. Compson's selfishness - yet still treated them all with love.

Confession of my thickheadedness: It took me until the last page to figure out why the golfers bothered Benjy so much. Duh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.