Curtiss Matlock's Reviews > The Women on the Porch

The Women on the Porch by Caroline Gordon

Jul 12, 09

bookshelves: womens-fiction
Read in July, 2009

This is an interesting read, but I skipped a lot about all the Greek mythology, as well as strange scenes where Gordon attempted to display the ghosts seen or remembered by the characters. I found much of her writing murky and convoluted; very often it is difficult to tell who is doing the talking. I have totally different experiences with stallions and did not believe certain scenes she presented--but it is, after all, fiction.

At one point I almost put the book down because I found it quite pompous. I'm glad I finished it. Gordon proved to do a masterful job with her characters, creating real, fully faceted people. I never truly like anyone, but each one in his way does redeem himself. By the end of the book, I related to everyone in some manner. Gordon's strength was her knowledge of the South, the land and the people and the heritage they hold so dear. The book was written in 1942 and gives a look at the way we were. I can recall such country stores and the scents and sounds.

This is my second time reading this book. I enjoyed it best the first time. Now I am older and more experienced and have little patience with many parts of the book. Still, it is interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women on the Porch.

07/02/2009 page 12
4.0% "Am re-reading this book."
07/03/2009 page 40
13.33% "Am re-reading this old classic, but now I'm wondering why."