Christine's Reviews > Deadville

Deadville by Ron Koertge

Jul 05, 09

Recommended to Christine by: Daniel
Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

My brother has this nasty habit of stealing all of my library books. Apparently, he's too lazy to come with us to the library to get his own...so he just borrows mine. He says he's trying them out for me, yadda, yadda, yadda. Whatever. It don't matter.
Really, I don't mind. I just think it's funny.
So, this book, when he returned it (last night, after church, hahah), he said, "On a scale of one to ten, I'd give it a twenty."
So, I'm expecting this to be the most amazing book ever (ever, ever, ever...) And...It was...decent. Not horrible. Not fabulous. Just...I don't know. The beginning was...depressing. He was funny, when he wasn't high...and during the beginning, he was high most of the time.
Then he goes to the gym, and somehow, Rhett-like-Gone-With-the-Wind-but-better-than-Ashley turns him around. Something like, if X is bad, do Y. Simple. Not easy, but simple. And it's better then, because he's growing and changing from who he used to be.
And all of the musical references were really cool...I have the strangest impulse to go listen to "Burgundy Shoes" by Patty Griffin.
I must say, what I expected to happen...didn't happen. That's all.
Oh! Also, a really funny part--at least, I thought it was funny--page 11:
"You sold Brad dope?"
He leans back against the fake-grain wall. "So?"
"He's an CENSORED BY CHRISTINE."
"A nickel bag is all."
"And that makes it all right?"
So I'm sitting here cracking up, thinking, okay, who says 'dope' anymore? And when is selling drugs EVER right?
Also, the goths in Aardvark's Vintage are hilarious. Probably my favorite part. Okay, not really. It was a funny book, which I liked...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadville.