Ashley's Reviews > The Accountant's Story: Inside the Violent World of the Medellín Cartel

The Accountant's Story by Roberto Escobar

Jul 09, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2009-books, audiobook
Read in July, 2009

The details were what was most interesting in this book to me - the fact that they spent $2500 a month on rubber bands to hold their money together. That they lost about 10% of their cash each year to moisture damage, misplacement, or because it was eaten by rats.

The sheer volume of money involved is staggering.
I'm too young to recall when all this went down in the early '90s, but I did find myself feeling compassion towards Pablo, however dark his bad side may have been.

The narrator, Pablo's brother Roberto, was also a compassionate character though he wasn't as deeply entrenched in the activities of the cartel. I found him annoying at times, seeming to so firmly attach himself to his brother's coattails. He also jumped around quite a bit - he would be discussing something that happened in 1990 and then jump back to the year before or a year later and then back to 1990. It was a bit distracting and the story would have been more cohesive if it had been editied to be more chronological.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accountant's Story.