Jennifer's Reviews > Narcissus in Chains

Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jul 02, 09

bookshelves: vampire-fiction, anita-blake

oh dear. After possibly the best, tightest, most suspenseful Anita Blake book yet (Obsidian Butterfly), we get this WEIRD story. At first I liked it because Anita's back in St Louis and it looks like she's reuniting with both JC and Richard and apparently everybody is going to be OK with that (after god knows how much drama to get there). But then she gets attacked, contracts lycanthropy (supposedly), and wakes up with strange naked men, one of whom she pretty much immediately screws in the shower. I mean, WHAT??!!! Who is this person? Where is Anita the badass, super-Christian little prude who didn't believe in premarital sex??

As many other reviewers have commented, this book seems to be the beginning of something else entirely. As if Hamilton is tired of writing the gory, suspenseful, kickass lady detective-meets-monsters stuff she's been putting out for oh, 9 books, and now wants to write erotica? I was thrown. She introduces it as a new metaphysical condition Anita suffers from as a result of being bonded with JC (who is apparently an incubus)... the ardeur... yuck!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narcissus in Chains.