Mojca's Reviews > Hidden Currents

Hidden Currents by Christine Feehan

Dec 13, 09

bookshelves: christine-feehan, series-drake-sisters, paranormal-romance-fantasy, suspense-mystery-adventure-thriller, favorites
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I admit I was a bit leery of this book thanks to all the reviews both here and on Amazon, but in the end this one turned out to be a wonderful, a little heartbreaking, and a lot bitter-sweet story, and provided a perfect ending to this series.

The scenes everybody so complained about (the first five chapters of the book) weren't as "bad" as we've all been warned. They were necessary to the story, to Elle's growth, maturing, change, and understanding of self, and they their execution was extremely tasteful. Ms. Feehan succeeded in conveying the right amount of sorrow, terror, and pain Elle's been through without descending into gory details.
These scenes were also instrumental in Elle's fundamental understanding of Jackson's character and what he's been through. Sure, she was there with him, sharing his mind, but until she went through pretty much the same torture, she didn't understand him, not completely, not the way he needed to be understood. And that was evident throughout the series, whenever there two had a scene together. Elle simply didn't get him, and because she didn't get him, his silences, his brooding, his deep-rooted need for violence, she pulled a childish act and went undercover...And almost lost herself.

Did she suffer? Yes. Did she come back a changed woman? Yes. But she also came back with a new vein of steel underneath, the steel Jackson himself helped to hone during the recovery process.
They both suffered through it all, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and both Jackson and Elle came out of the ordeal tougher, their connection stronger than ever.

And this is what I love most about Christine Feehan's writing. Her ability to convey strong emotions in her stories, her penchant for putting her characters through hell (both literally and figuratively) and make them come out on the other side stronger, more determined, more mature, changed but still remaining the same deep down when it counts...All without having to subject the reader to all the gory details. After all, this isn't a horror story or a thriller, but a romance with all the trimmings, including the requisite happy ending.

I loved the dynamic of the characters, the sisterly devotion, the friendship between the men, and it was lovely to revisit the couples from previous books, and see them still holding strong, the women still teasing their mates and the men still unrepentant over their overprotective ways.
And the ending was just perfect with all the gives to the next generation, the ever-changing, people-eating house, and the wind visiting each couple, showing glimpses of their happiness, before rushing back toward the sea.

P.S. Also, this book, though finishing the Drake era, provided a nice intro into the Prakenskii brothers era, with Ilya's brother making an appearance, resulting to be in the same profession as his younger brother. His story is next in line, following his escape from the boat, in Water Bound.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Currents.

08/06/2009 page 1

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I felt the same way about this book, Alathea. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'm excited about Sid's brother's story. Yay!

Mojca I loved it, Danielle.
Nothing will ever beat Turbulent Sea for me (Ilya is absolutely the best), but this one was a close second. ;)