Sandy Tjan's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Oct 21, 09

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, 2009
Read in July, 2009

When I think of Swedish industry, I think of IKEA, Volvo and Erricson. After reading this novel, I also think of the Vangers, whose secrets are darker than just the usual corporate sin of fake accounting, money laundering or embezzlement. Mikael Blomkvist is a muckracking financial journalist who has just been convicted of libelling an industrialist, whom he had accused of corruption. In his nadir professionally, he accepts an unusual assignment from Henrik Vanger, the 82-year old patriarch and former CEO of the Vanger corporation. The Vanger corporation, a family-owned conglomerate which has been a major player in Swedish industry for generations is in trouble. But Vanger does not hire Blomkvist to dig out corporate skeletons, rather, he wants him to solve the four-decade old mystery of his niece's disappearance. He is soon joined by a 'research assistant', Lisbeth Salander, the tattoed, pierced computer hacker with a tangled past.

Salander is the most interesting character in this novel; a ruthless, somewhat amoral, seemingly cold problem child with her own unpredictable agenda. She operates on her own terms, beholden to no one except to herself, vicious to her enemies, yet intensely vulnerable. The other major characters are also ably fleshed out with some depth to them. The murder mystery is compelling enough, although it barely intersects with the other major plot. Larsson's animosity towards rapists, Neo-Nazis and corporate crooks animates the sometimes clunky narrative (an effect of the translation?). Some passages seem to have been lifted verbatim from business articles or encyclopaedia entries. However, it succeeds abundantly as a thriller and kept me reading well into the night.

Oh, and there is a (gruesome) punishment, courtesy of Salander, which should be mandatory for all rapists/sadists.

My review of The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2): http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

and

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3): http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

07/03/2009 page 50
8.47% "Mysterious gifts of flowers suggesting a lifelong vendetta; a muckracking reporter; a blabbing banker; the girl with the dragon tattoo..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Boof Ooh, let me know what you think. I really enjoyed this.

Laura well girls, you MUST read The Girl who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest which is coming up in UK in October 1st.

Boof Laura, I have read the second one and can't wait to read the 3rd. Have you read them yet? It comes out in hardback a couple of days before my birthday so I have asked for it for a present.

Laura Boof, I couldn´t sleep until I finished the second one and I can´t wait for the third one!!

Laura I forgot to mention that they make a movie based on the first book, a german production I think.

☯Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I forgot to mention that they make a movie based on the first book, a german production I think."

Laura it was an all swedish film - the guy who played Martin has also played Wallander on tv here. I wouldn't throw Michael Nyqvist outta bed on a wet and windy night lol.

Laura Not a chance to watch it?? snif snif snif.....

☯Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "Not a chance to watch it?? snif snif snif....."

It's bound to come out on DVD at some time and it really is worth having a look at as it mirrored the book very well (too well for the revenge scene)

The next two books were due to be screened just on SVT but because of the success of the first (box office receipts) they will be shown in the cinema this autumn.

☯Bettie☯ Look at this for a turnup on the films- wow!:

Laura Ohhh good, have you seen this?? "Gabrielsson still has possession of a laptop containing an unpublished fourth Millennium novel, and possibly outlines for several other novels as well."

☯Bettie☯ Trailer for The Girl who played with Fire is here:

[image error]

☯Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "Ohhh good, have you seen this?? "Gabrielsson still has possession of a laptop containing an unpublished fourth Millennium novel, and possibly outlines for several other novels as well.""

Not so sure about that rumour but I do hope it is true - let's have butt-kicking Lisbet for years yet

:O)

☯Bettie☯ The trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is here:

Laura thanks Bettie, I would prefer to watch this swedish version instead of a hollywood version....

☯Bettie☯ We agree wholeheartedly with you Laura - Noomi Rapace IS Lisbet

Sandy Tjan Bettie, thanks for liking my review. :-) You're Swedish, right? I'm curious about how good/faithful the English translation is. Perhaps you can tell us about it?

Sandy Tjan Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "The trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is here:

The trailer won't play on my Mac for some reason. :-( But Blomkvist and Salander in the photos are just exactly like I imagine them to look like. I wonder when the movie will be screened in my part of the world, if ever.

Laura Sandy, I also liked your review...

Sandy Tjan Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "Laura wrote: "Ohhh good, have you seen this?? "Gabrielsson still has possession of a laptop containing an unpublished fourth Millennium novel, and possibly outlines for several other novels as well..."

Yeah! Let's see her dish it out to the Advokat Bjurmans of the world! lol

Sandy Tjan Laura wrote: "Sandy, I also liked your review..."

Oh yeah. Thanks, Laura! What's the second book about?

Laura the second book is the continuation of the first one, even better, you should read it!!

Sandy Tjan Really? I'll look for it at the bookstore.

Laura Do it, you won´t regret it!! I have already pre-ordered the third one.

Sandy Tjan Is the third one available in English?

☯Bettie☯ Sandybanks wrote: "Bettie, thanks for liking my review. :-) You're Swedish, right? I'm curious about how good/faithful the English translation is. Perhaps you can tell us about it?"

I'm not swedish but my husband is and he read the three in Swedish and then re-read (over my shoulder) snippets in English - the verdict was entirely favourable to the translator.

Sandy Tjan Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "Sandybanks wrote: "Bettie, thanks for liking my review. :-) You're Swedish, right? I'm curious about how good/faithful the English translation is. Perhaps you can tell us about it?"

I'm not swed..."

Bettie, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was wondering about some parts of the novel that reads like a newspaper article and apparently this is deliberate on the part of the author, and not an effect of the translation.

Laura Sandy, the first translations of Larsson´s books were in French instead of English.

Merty Really good review, Sandybanks.
There are some great comments and links here too!
I can't wait for the second book to come out, it's pre-ordered on my kindle. :)

Sandy Tjan Merty wrote: "Really good review, Sandybanks.
There are some great comments and links here too!
I can't wait for the second book to come out, it's pre-ordered on my kindle. :)"

Thanks, Merty. I want to read the second one too. People here have been telling me that it's even better than the first one.

Sandy Tjan Laura wrote: "Sandy, the first translations of Larsson´s books were in French instead of English."

Laura, that's interesting. So it was translated into French first rather than English. How popular is it in Sweden and Europe?

Laura In France, his books are a complete sucess, "sell like water" (a Brazilian expression we use here).

Sandy Tjan Laura wrote: "In France, his books are a complete sucess, "sell like water" (a Brazilian expression we use here)."

Not like hotcakes?

In Indonesian we would say that 'it sells like fried bananas'. Different expressions in different languages, I suppose. lol

Laura exactly!!!

☯Bettie☯ Går åt, som smör i solsken

'Melts like butter in sunshine' is the equivalent Swedish saying!

Laura and Boof, what is the English version for that??

Merty "Sells like hotcakes". (English expression)

Merty Sandybanks wrote: "Merty wrote: "Really good review, Sandybanks.

Thanks, Merty. I wa..."

You are so good at describing and posting your thoughts in regard to the books you've read. That's nice to read vs. just someone who puts up a rating and no comments. :)

Georg "Laura, that's interesting. So it was translated into French first rather than English. How popular is it in Sweden and Europe"

In Germany the trilogy is on top of the bestseller list (Der Spiegel). Great books, and a great review, Sandy.

Sandy Tjan Georg wrote: ""Laura, that's interesting. So it was translated into French first rather than English. How popular is it in Sweden and Europe"

In Germany the trilogy is on top of the bestseller list (Der Spieg..."

Danke schon. Georg. : ) Have you read the third one?

Allison L Reading this book made me realize how possible it is to fall in love with a fictional character. The unpredictable Lisbeth Salander is a character who very much intrigued me. Her wittiness and vulnerability made this book much better than what it would have been. Without a character like her the successfulness of this book would be rare. In my opinion. It was an overall amazing book that I find myself reading years from now.