Jeff's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

Jul 10, 09

Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** It's hard to come up with words to describe this book. One of the reading group members used the words "rampant silliness." I agree 100%. The difference is that I use that positively! Having read a large amount of Neil Gaiman's work and just beginning to enjoy the lunacy that is Terry Pratchett, I was delighted by Good Omens. Actually, this was my second read of the book, thanks to the Science Fiction/Fantasy reading group. The first time I read it, it was my first experience with either author. I immediately began reading anything I could get my hands on by Gaiman. I've only recently begun reading Pratchett's Discworld series.

Anyway. "Rampant Silliness." Yes. There's a lot of that in Good Omens and I like it a lot. From the very beginning where Aziraphale "lost" the flaming sword to Crowley's flaming Bentley as it flies over the M25 (or whatever that was) in London.

As an avid student of the Bible and one who is reasonably familiar with apocalyptic prophecy, I was completely amused and entertained by the authors' slightly irreverant treatment of the subject. The thought of the Antichrist being an 11-year-old kid is just crazy. I'm sure more "fundamentalist" types would be offended by the idea of an angel and a demon collaborating because neither one really wants the world to end, but I wasn't. I enjoyed that relationship quite a bit. I would have loved to have had a look at Aziraphale's book store!

There were multiple parts in this book that had me almost giggling uncontrollably, and I must say that one particular night, while I was in an amazing amount of pain, this book literally helped me survive that night. Laughter is, indeed, good medicine!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.