Oceana2602's Reviews > Die unendliche Geschichte

Die unendliche Geschichte by Michael Ende

Dec 11, 2009

bookshelves: 1987, 1988, 1990, 1989, 1991, children-s-books, favourites, german, male-writers
Read in January, 1987 — I own a copy , read count: countless times

It's hard to describe what this book meant to me. I was in third grade when I first read it, and from then on, I continued to read it at least once a year. It was my religion. I knew every character, every single part of the story. It's a wonder that I couldn't recite it by heart, though it feels like I can still recite passages.

Had this been fifteen years later, I'm sure this book would have had the same impact as Harry Potter has now, with a huge fandom, tons of merchandise and real movie-stardom for the actors of the movie. But it wasn't, and if there was a movie back then, I didn't know about it and I still haven't watched it. I saw pictures of it, though, and Fuchur didn't look at all like the Fuchur I had imagined. My first encounter with the limits that movies impose on our reading fantasies.

The way it was, Die Unendliche Geschichte was just a book. But it was my favourite book ever for a long long time, and it has had a tremendous impact on the way I thought, wrote and acted as a child.

One of my absolute favourite books ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die unendliche Geschichte.