Mark Bates's Reviews > Skeleton Creek

Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman

Jul 01, 2009

Read in April, 2009

An excellent concept for a book. As with other books, I read this aloud to my grade 5 students. They totally enjoyed the experience. I think this was the case for many reasons but mainly due to the unique combination of the book being written in first-person journal format and the online video component. They were hooked after we read the book up to the first password for the first online video (which we watched on the classroom's SMART Board). After the video, the kids were in an uproar! They were so excited they went out in the hall and roamed the classroom talking about the book. This set the tone for the rest of our time reading together.

The reason for the 4/5 rating is that the videos started strong but trailed off in intensity about half way through. A word of caution to those thinking of reading this book to younger readers - several of the videos maybe too frightening for some. I personally would not recommend this book for those students in grades lower than 5.

The second book is due out in October 2009. Can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeleton Creek.

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Great review Mark. It's teachers like you who give me faith for our future!

Aren't SMART Board's the best? My son got to be part of a trial and now they're in most classrooms. Love it.

My son is now in sixth grade. I think this book will be right up his alley.

(And I can't wait to read it too.)

Thank you!