Sarah Null's Reviews > The History of Love

193255
Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: owned
Read from August 05 to 09, 2012

While reading this book, and not knowing Nicole Krauss is married to Jonathan Safran Foer, I was reminded over and over again of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I think those who were put off by the "gimmick" in ELAIC may appreciate this book. I can't help but compare the two: Both feature a young child, who has lost a father; a search across New York for something, though the searcher isn't really sure what. Leo Gursky even reminds me a bit of Oskar's grandfather. Those who were irritated by Oskar, thinking he sounded too old for nine, might appreciate Alma and Bird, who have similar voices to Oskar but are a bit older. I see that both books were published in 2005. It makes me wonder what life was like in the Krauss-Foer household at that time, for them to have written such similar, but very different, books.

I see that I am not the only one to notice the similarities here.

I don't know that I agree with the author from the above link that Krauss' book is "far superior" to Foer's. I was very moved by this book, especially by Leo's longing for his son (the scene where he visits Isaac's house and washes his dirty dish was heartbreaking). But I gave Extremely Loud five stars. I wish I had read it more recently so I could remember why.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Love.

08/05/2012 page 14
5.0% "Fourteen pages in, and I'm already in love with this book." 1 comment
08/06/2012 page 92
35.0% ""Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering." I am so enamored with this book!! It reminds me a little of Love in the Time of Cholera, and a little of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. And yet it's also unlike anything else I've read."
08/08/2012 page 143
55.0% "My illness has made me read this slowly... I start to read for a bit and end up falling asleep. But I think it's a good thing to read this slowly. The better to savor it."