Tricia's Reviews > Magic by the Lake

Jul 20, 09

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-chapter
Read in July, 2009

"Katharine noticed a sign by the front door. … 'Magic by the Lake,' it said.
Katharine looked at Mark, a wild guess in her eyes. 'Do you suppose?' For the four children had had experience of magic, or at least a kind of half magic, in the past.
(After the half magic was over, they wondered if they'd ever have any magic adventures again, and in the book about it it says it was a long time before they knew the answer. And here it was only three weeks later, and already Katharine was ready for more. But if you think three weeks isn't a long time for four children to be without magic, I can only say that it seemed a long time to them.)"
...
'Magic by the lake,' said Martha, trying out the words to herself. 'Doesn't it sound lovely? Don't you wish it were true?'
'I certainly do,' said Jane.
There was a silence. The turtle stuck its head out of its shell.
'Now you've done it,' it said.

And thus begins the adventures of four siblings, as they experience magic by the lake - but what exactly does "by" mean? Read to find out!

I picked this up at a yard sale because a friend is a fan of Edward Eager but I'm not familiar with his work. I found it to be a sweet entertaining story, just enough peril to keep you interested but not so much to put off a younger reader. I like the reminders about how children view the world (e.g. 3 weeks is a long time, in the quote above). And I think I would like to have a vacation like this - spend a summer at a lake cottage, exploring the area thoroughly, having new adventures every day. And the youngest girl - often hesitant but usually feisty - reminds me of someone I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic by the Lake.

06/30/2009 page 45