Cathy 's Reviews > High Voltage Tattoo

High Voltage Tattoo by Kat Von D

Jul 06, 09

bookshelves: biography, non-fiction, coffe-table, read-in-2009
Read in July, 2009

This is a pretty cool book. I was never into tattooing until I caught a marathon of Miami Ink. Yup, I'm one of those TV converts. I enjoyed the stories of why people wanted their tattoos, some are so touching, such as memorial tattoos. But mostly I love the art. I'm a fan of any show that features transformation, from house design to cooking, cake decorating, etc. I'm just amazed and entertained by seeing people create beauty.

Which is a big lead up to the story about Kat. She was featured on the 2nd or 3rd season of Miami Ink, and then went on to star in her own show, LA Ink. As with most reality shows, there is a lot of drama (not my favorite part), but also some great personal stories and fascinating views of artists doing their thing. This book is written for Kat's fans, and to a lesser degree tattoo fans. It's really a short biography of Kat that features her art as a central aspect of her life. I enjoyed getting more insight into her past and thinking, but mostly I was looking for the pictures. I would have liked to see a bit more beautiful tattoo pics. But the creativity of the book's format really won me over. It's sort of scrapbook style. Different sections have designs that feature the subject. There is a whole section in the middle of full-page photos of Kat from different angles and info about most of her own tattoos, which does satisfy a lot of my curiosity about that. There is some interesting info about the tattoo business and tattoo machines. And a large section featuring Kat's art and a bit of art of other famous tattoo artists.

Overall it's quite a lovely book with some interesting info about Kat, tattoos and why people get tattoos. I'm still amazed sometimes at the crazy things people want inscribed permanently on their bodies, from jokes to monsters to movie and music stars. And many of the designs are lovely, evocative and cool. Either way, it's fun to see.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Voltage Tattoo.

06/30/2009 page 54
30.68% "She really makes me appreciate black and gray. The portraits are amazing."