Molly 's Reviews > Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever

Reading Magic by Mem Fox

Jun 30, 09

bookshelves: books-and-writing, parenting

I can't get enough of books like this. My husband has accused me of reading books that simply validate my own views on children and literature. I'm sure he's right -- but I don't care. A little validation never hurt, and I've gleaned new things from the last two volumes I've read about reading to your child. (Plus, I can counter by pointing out how many books he owns on the existence of UFOs. Hah!)

'Reading Magic' comes from Mem Fox, a children's author and reading advocate from Australia. She wrote 'Time for Bed' and, most recently, 'Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes.' Sometimes her voice is a little perky, but I like what she has to say about word play and rhyme and just having fun reading together. She inspired me to be more dramatic when I read aloud. I also liked the list she has at the end of the "20 Books that Children Love." Here it is:

1. I Went Walking by Machin and Vivas

2. Each Peach Pear Plum by Ahlberg and Ahlberg

3. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Martin and Carle (Hildy's first favorite!)

4. Green Eggs and Ham by Seuss

16. Dear Zoo by Campbell

17. We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Rosen and Oxenbury

18. Rosie's Walk by Hutchins

19. The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Vipont and Briggs

20. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Viorst and Cruz

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In our inventory system, the board book edition of any kid's book is indicated by adding the word "board" after the title. So Eastman's "Are You My Mother?" comes out: "Are You My Mother Board." I picture a cute little baby computer asking the question.
-Bob

Molly Bob wrote: "In our inventory system, the board book edition of any kid's book is indicated by adding the word "board" after the title. So Eastman's "Are You My Mother?" comes out: "Are You My Mother Board." I ..."

Ha ha ha ha ha. That is SO AWESOME.