Donna's Reviews > Bless Me Ultima

Jun 30, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, 2009-audio-books, source-library, genre-classic
Read in August, 2009

It's amazing that i haven't read this before - i spent my senior year of high school in New Mexico and this book was one of the Read On Fort Collins selections too... yet I'd never got around to it.

I have had several people tell me this is one of their favorites of all time, so i had high expectations. And for some reason they were not met. Ultima is a wonderful character, and i wanted more of her. I found Tony's friends mostly annoying. I was also annoyed at the author's treatment of women in general - with the exception of Ultima and one school teacher they were either frivolous girls or over reactive women or witches.

Things i liked about the story though was the battle in Tony's mind about what is "true" and how to determine the will of God. The struggle of good and evil throughout the book was wonderful too.

Wish i could give half stars here because i'd actually make it 3.5 stars - it isn't my favorite of all time, but it is worth your time, especially if you consider it on the same plane as Siddhartha or other books about spiritual journeys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bless Me Ultima.