bookczuk's Reviews > Not Becoming My Mother: and Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way

Not Becoming My Mother by Ruth Reichl

Jun 30, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: biography-autobiography-or-memoir, bookcrossing, ho-hum
Read in June, 2009

This was one of the books I read during the final week of bumma's life. I found a strange comfort in reading others write of their loved ones who had died (also read Christopher Buckley's marvelous book, Losing Mum and Pup and CAlvin Trillin's About Alice.) Someday I hope to put my bumma stories together in a book as a tribute to a phenomenal woman. Trillin and Alice, and the Buckley clan inspire me to do so.

I found this book kind of like driving by a roadside accident. You just have to look. Reichel's writing is good, and her mother is indeed a fascinating character. But it's a sad, sad story of a woman who really never was happy with herself. Being at ease in your own skin is a gift. My friend Liz, who gave me the book after she'd read it, kind of damned it with faint praise. She may have been too kind.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Becoming My Mother.

message 1: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 For some reason, this makes me think of Cokie Roberts' book, which I bought years ago and have never read beyond the 2nd page. We are our mother's daughters? Something like that.

bookczuk As a magazine article, this one would have been good. As a book, not so much.

bookczuk And I agree about the Cokie Roberts book.

message 4: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 which doesn't surprise me at all :)