Justin's Reviews > Something from the Nightside

2027950
Oct 01, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, own
Read in July, 2009

I liked this book. I enjoyed it for what it was. What it is though, might not be for everyone. Like many others I was pointed to this series because I like Jim Butcher, Butcher himself recommends this series. Something from the Nightside’s main character is John Taylor. John is a private detective with a gift for finding things. He takes a case about a missing girl that forces him to confront his past and enter the Nightside. John Taylor has a serious reputation in the Nightside and he thought he had left that world behind years ago. Now it seems he as to return, and he uses his old contacts and his dubious reputation to crack the case.

Something from the Nightside’s cast of violent, self loathing characters, although colorful do tend to get tiresome after awhile. Simon R. Green does a very good job of giving you the feel of the Nightside. I like the world he created. It's a creative mix of a lot of dark fantasy places we've seen before. Simon R. Green’s writing style in this novel is cliché to the point it starts to feel repetitive. I understand it is the private eye noir style he is going for, but at times I just want him to stop the constant reaffirmation of the Nightside’s weirdness. For example:

“"The Nightside is the secret, hidden, dark heart of the city. London's evil twin. It's where the really wild things are…”

"It's always night in the Nightside. It's always three o'clock in the morning, and the dawn never comes….”

“You can buy or sell anything in the Nightside, and no-one asks questions. No-one cares. There's a nightclub, where you can pay to see a fallen angel forever burning inside a pentacle drawn in baby's blood”

"Everything you ever feared or dreamed of is running loose somewhere in the shifting streets of the Nightside..”

“You can find anything in the Nightside, if it doesn't find you first. It's a sick, magical, dangerous place…”

That’s just from first half of chapter one, repeat similar descriptions ad nauseum through out the entire book. I get it, the Nightside is a creepy, weird and scary place, please move on with the story. Hopefully being the first in a series, the setting is now established and we can move on from having to say what's "in the Nightside" all the time.

Overall the story was fun and fast paced. The characters were unique hinted at more depth to come. This urban fantasy fits the genre well, and should provide fans of the genre a great way to spend their time. I am definitely looking forward to the next books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something from the Nightside.

07/01/2009 page 200
86.96% "I was skeptical at first. The first chapter had me wondering if I would finish it, but it's picked up and is turning into a fun book."