Raina's Reviews > Cyberia

Cyberia by Chris Lynch

Jul 01, 09

bookshelves: j, sci-fi, didn-t-finish
Read in July, 2009

Have I mentioned before that I'm SUPERsensitive about animal cruelty?
I liked this book. I really did. It's about a kid who grows up in the near future, where people do everything inside and his whole room is made up of screens, including ones that monitor his health level (blood pressure, temperature, how soon he will need to go to the bathroom...), and ones featuring his parents. It is not clear (as of when I stopped) if he ever actually is physically in the presence of his parents.

In the midst of this sterile environment, he has a dog (which kinda surprised me - I expected it to be a robot dog or something). Anyway, he gets a new gadget from his dad which is like a blackberry which brings all his other gadgets together. And here's the twist. Somehow, this new gadget makes it possible for him to hear his dog SPEAK!

And we're off. The dog becomes the spokesdog for a conglomerate of animals who fear the terrors of a villainous vet.

It's a great start. Really. That's just the first few chapters. Unfortunately, when it comes to any kind of cruelty to animals, I'm a total wimp, and with one rough shake of a cute doggie's scruff, I couldn't go any further. I liked it. Maybe even a lot. And I would probably even booktalk it. But I've got a weak soul when it comes to this stuff.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cyberia.