Books Ring Mah Bell's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Sep 13, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: kidsbooks

I read this long long ago to see how "evil" it was. You know, does it encourage children to become witches and wizards? Does reading Harry Potter cause evil?

After chopping off the heads of chickens, bats, a stray cat, and mixing it up in a cauldron pot, I dipped in my voo-doo doll and put a curse on my neighbor. (nothing too bad, just a case of incurable body lice) I then decided there is absoultely nothing wrong with Harry Potter!

*disclaimer for those who don't get my sarcasm: I never cut heads off any animal, ever. I open the door to let spiders and flies out of the house. So relax. (and let your kid read the damn book!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

02/04/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

As a children's librarian, I find this book to be a good recruiting tool for my Wiccan Circle.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 19, 2009 10:49AM) (new)

Luring kiddies to the dark arts is fine and all, but I prefer L. Frank Baum's atheistic allegory The Wizard of Oz, in which the "great and powerful" Oz is revealed to be... a dorky old man with a Napoleon complex sitting behind a screen. (Oops! Spoiler! For the book and for life in general.)

Nietzsche couldn't have said it better.

Come, children... be indoctrinated! Bwahahahaha!

Manny A friend of mine at Trinity College, Cambridge, managed to get assigned Alastair Crowley's old room in his third year. There were still Harry Potter graffiti faintly in evidence, including a rather fine sketch of Hermione on the bedroom ceiling. It's all true.

Books Ring Mah Bell See. the youth read Harry Potter, slay goats, make graffiti, and I bet they dance, those wicked little buggers!

Next thing you know, they'll be pushing Palin for President in 2012!

OOOOOPS! Different evil.

Jackie "the Librarian" But you only gave it two stars. What's THAT about, Bellsy?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this first one in the series. I had never heard of Harry Potter when I read it--my mom had it. I was so happy for Harry to be getting some love and appreciation and excitement in his life. So sweet.

Books Ring Mah Bell Jackie, I thought it was okay. cute. nice. The whole witch/wizard thing does nothing for me. (Just like castles, kings/queens, and bodice ripper novels)

Harry Potter was very well done, but nothing I "dig" or would like to read... kind of like vampires and the Twilight series.

I realize that statement will generate some hate mail.
So be it.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Naw, hating on HP haters is so 2005.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

But feel free to hate on Twilight. :)

message 10: by brian (new) - added it

brian tanabe Twilight DVD available March 21st!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You need to be ridiculed for that, brian. Ridicule. Ridicule.

On the other hand, I can have Robert P. to myself at home!

Jackie "the Librarian" Okay, we have different rating systems then, Bells. I'm okay with that. :D

I've already moved on to hating books where teens sprout wings. Everyone's copying the Patterson books.
Hurray for originality, right?

message 13: by Yaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yaz Well i dont know y u gave only 2 stars. its awesome! i mean everything doesnt need to have EDWARD AND BELLA. A VAMPIRE and all those Twilight thinkg..

Books Ring Mah Bell I gave it 2 stars because witches,wizards, princes, princesses and VAMPIRES really are not things I really like to read about.
While Harry Potter is not my cup of tea, it's still a good read for someone who is into that stuff.

For the record, I could give a shit about Edward and Bella?? I have never picked up any of the Twilight books and I most likely never will.

Melyssa Twilight sucks. I wished I had never picked them up, but glad I did so I can now legitimately tell people to avoid it >:)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

From you're mouth to God's ears.

Karunya Honestly if you have no taste for the fantasy sort then why even read the book? You are entitled to reviewing whatever you wish to but if you do not like the genre, much less the idea of the book, then really your review has no credibility. Naturally if you don't like the plot you wouldn't like the book. I was hoping for you to comment on the way the book was crafted not the idea of witchcraft itself. Also I would never vote for Sarah Palin in 2012. That would most definitely ensure an apocalypse. (:

Books Ring Mah Bell Honestly if you have no taste for the fantasy sort then why even read the book?

I wanted to see why it had some people's panties in a bunch.

then really your review has no credibility.
I'm just giving my impressions... And while wizards are not my idea of a good read, I think the whole series is awesome for kids (okay, sure, adults too).

I think Rowlings success with the HP series speaks for itself.

Just didn't float my boat.

I would never vote for Sarah Palin in 2012.
good call!!!

message 20: by Bram (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bram Bells is not credible. She's incredible.

Books Ring Mah Bell I'll take that as a compliment, Bram!

message 22: by Bram (last edited Jan 21, 2010 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bram As you should :)

Credibility is an interesting issue when talking about Goodreads reviews. Do any of us have credibility? All of us?

Books Ring Mah Bell Two words:
Ginnie Jones.

Credible?

message 24: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby I have read all the books and see nothing wrong with it, in any way. I prefer the books later in the series, they are much more interesting. But as for Christian religious leaders, there is nothing that hints at satanism or anything bad. I hate it when people over-react like that. But, I respect your opinion, as you are entitled to it, even if I disagree. The Harry potter books are great!

message 25: by Bram (last edited Feb 19, 2010 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bram No Satanism in Harry Potter? I don't believe it.

Brianna Marie I agree witht he bold letters: HP is amazing, but why did you give it two stars????

HP deserves, at the very least, a four-star.

message 27: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John I want to read the series because I don't care if it is witchcraft I'm a Christian and I'm using these books to see if there is a witch living near me FYI jk rowling made a deal with the devil and that is why I will use her writing to expose her

Illuminati? Perhaps but then again I'm going to scare myself scary with these books

PS I do not support the books I'm just renting them from a website I found that rents books

Witchcraft is real and scary don't be fooled it's like lucifer or the devil he is scary and real

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Bells, why do you hate HP? OMG. It's not real witches. Real witches only give two stars to HP.

Books Ring Mah Bell :)
i'm a real witch.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

This. Is. Fiction. I wish it wasn't but it IS.
I don't know if the devil is real, John.

Seizure Romero "I took a black cat, a cave bat, threw 'em in a pot pot, pot pot pot pot
I took a green snake, a blue snake, tied 'em in a knot knot, knot knot knot knot
I took the dog's paw, a calve's jaw, hung 'em on the line line, line line line line
I took a horse hair, a green bear, made a crazy sign sign, sign sign sign sign

I'm casting my spell on you, casting my spell on you, casting my spell on you, you'll never never be untrue
Casting my spell on you, casting my spell on you, casting my spell on you, you'll never never be untrue!"

Don't blame me. Blame Roy Orbison.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Bell, I would just like to point out that Palin would've been a much better candidate than the man who was re elected, screwed up our country, and lied to us all.

Books Ring Mah Bell That's funny.

Jason Lauren, shhhh. (Obama can heeeear youuuuuuuu.)

Books Ring Mah Bell That is NOT as funny.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael There's nothing right with Harry Potter, either.

Deepak Yadav If you liked it that much, then why did you gave it two stars?