Natlyn's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Jul 05, 09

Read in July, 2009

Grahame-Smith has taken the plot and text of P&P and added zombie mayhem. Zombies (or unmentionables as polite society refers to them) and the fighting of them are integrated into the book. While the basic plot is the same, motivations and dialogue have been reimagined. For example, and what follows are spoilers--if one can spoil the plot of a novel more than 100 years old--Mr. Darcy finds Jane to be an unsuitable match for Mr. Bingley not least because he believes her to have been bitten by and slowly turning into a zombie and Lady Catherine de Bourgh finds Elizabeth's martial arts training to be inferior.

I have never been a huge fan of P&P, but admit the story is compelling and well told; however, the addition of zombies presents a nice break from the seemingly interminable discussion of balls, incomes, connections, and manners. It was a delight to see how well Grahame-Smith integrated the zombies and granted the Bennet girls fighting skills while keeping the proper decorum.

I quite enjoyed the book, although I admit my interest lagged about the middle, at about the same place that my interest has always lagged with regard to the adaptations. I therefore think this work is quite faithful to the book in all meaningful particulars of plot, voice, theme, etc. Except perhaps I think it more fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.