Jacki's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Mar 28, 10

Read in July, 2009

I got this book thrust upon me one evening by a friend. I'm not really into fantasy, so I mostly took it just to be nice. I let it lay around for awhile before I picked it up. What got me reading was reading the author's Goodread profile. Knowing his story made me want to read it.

I'm so glad that I did. This is easily one of the best books that I've read this year. The writing really blew me away. I expected it to be this dry-bones book about some dragon-slaying hero, and while there were dragons and a great hero, there was nothing dry about it. I loved the poetry and the songs. I loved how the hero was super-heroic, but also very flawed. I loved the descriptions of his parents- I thought that these were the most beautiful passages in the book and had it been my book, I probably would have highlighted them. Good stuff.

I'm so glad that this is a series, because when I was nearing the end of this one, I didn't want it to end at all! The next book comes out in just a couple of months, and I may just have to bend my no-new-books rule for this one!

Upon rereading: http://www.lovelylittleshelf.com/2010...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Jacki Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“My parents danced together, her head on his chest. Both had their eyes closed. They seemed so perfectly content. If you can find someone like that, someone who you can hold and close your eyes to the world with, then you're lucky. Even if it only lasts for a minute or a day. The image of them gently swaying to the music is how I picture love in my mind even after all these years.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind