Hayes's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2010, read-in-2013, bc-bookring
Recommended to Hayes by: Mystery Group Read
Read in January, 2013

ETA Jan 2013: quick re-read before I start the rest in the series.
A little better the second time round. Clearer head, or something. But my original opinion, below, still holds. 3.5 stars

I liked this, very much; I just didn't love it. I wanted to be more connected to Maisie, but felt that she slipped away before I could learn to love her. I liked the story and the back story and the way they intertwined, although I found the switching back and forth in time was handled a little awkwardly.

I will continue the series.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.

07/15/2010 page 40
01/08/2013 page 50
17.0% 2 comments
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad you liked it. The first few books in the series were very enjoyable.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Check these out: The War Against Miss Winter and This Dame for Hire: A Novel. I haven't read Maisie cause most of my friends gave it only threes.. But the two I mentioned are very good. Miss Winter is the best.

Hayes Thank you! will take a look.

Jan C Tara - I was disappointed that Scoppettone only wrote two books in that wisecracking series about Fay Quick.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good luck with the rest. I never quite warmed up to Maisie.

Hayes I think "warmed up" is the right expression. She was just a little "chilly" in the first book. I have #s 2-4, so I will zip through them this winter. (Ha! Zip, she said...)

message 7: by Donna (last edited Jan 07, 2013 03:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Donna I think this series gets better as it goes along. I've read all but the most recent one or two.

Currently, I'm reading The Return of Captain John Emmett which is also an interesting look at the human impact of WWI.

If you're interested in a good series set during WW II I'm really enjoying the Billy Boyle series. Billy Boyle: A World War II Mystery

Hayes Hi Donna, I've had that series on my radar list for centuries. (I think because you recommended it, if I remember.)

Hannah Maisie is a cold-fish type to me, and I find the overall series uneven in terms of overall story arc. That said, I'm still invested in it. Hope you continue to enjoy it Hayes.