Nathan's Reviews > House of Leaves

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Sep 20, 07

bookshelves: books-i-hope-die, fiction
Recommended for: People I hate.
Read in March, 2007

One of the reviews I read of this book compared it positively (bewilderingly) to The Blair Witch Project. I agree, only I thought The Blair Witch project was primarily a ninety-minute gimmick, and not particularly engaging, at that. I should probably admit that I only made it 3/4ths of the way through House of Leaves before realizing that my skull appears larger from the inside than it does from outside. Every person I know who has a brain currently, previously, or aspires to one day have a brain, who has read this book, swears by it. Perhaps in the final 4th of the book the wizard was revealed, I just gave up too early, and everyone else was in on some giant joke I didn't get. Maybe I saw the previews too many times and all the tricks were spoiled. I should have seen it in the theater instead of on video. I dunno. I recognize that I am the only person in the world to feel this way, but I just plain did not like this book much. Pretentious garbage for people who want to like literature more than they actually like it.

NC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Leaves.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Miriam (last edited Feb 24, 2010 09:52AM) (new)

Miriam Pretentious garbage for people who want to like literature more than they actually like it.

I think this explains an entire category of publications that would otherwise not make it into print.

☯Bettie☯ lol - I loved it and it scared the bejeebers out of me. That claustrophobic descent was an incredible ride but it did peter out into pretty much a non-entity. For that ride down the staircase though, it is a one-off creepy journey through hell.

What's with the letters though - did not make any sense to me apart from a switchback to fluff out the page numbers.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Oh, I haven't read House of Leaves yet. I have to order it from Supersearch and my library only allows three books at a time. I didn't feel strongly about Blair Witch project one way or the other, so that comparison doesn't mean a lot to me.

☯Bettie☯ Miriam wrote: "Oh, I haven't read House of Leaves yet. I have to order it from Supersearch and my library only allows three books at a time. I didn't feel strongly about Blair Witch project one way or the other, ..."

I do not have anything positive to say about BW - and my upbringing dictates that 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nowt'

Karen You did better with this book than I did. I started reading it because someone had recommended it to me, they thought it was excellent. I gave up after about one hundred pages. It just didn't grab me and I wasn't prepared to waste any more time on it. As for The Blair Witch Project I came out of that wondering what all the fuss was about and thinking that all the people who raved about it had seen a different movie to the one I'd seen.

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I gave up, too, Karen. I thought the interior of the layered stories was better, but not enough so to wade through the frame narrative by the douche.