Brett's Reviews > The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition

The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. Salvatore

Jun 29, 09

Read in June, 2009

One of my summer reading books for 2009. Actually three books in one volume, so the 800 pages took me a while to get through. This is the back story of Drizzt, R.A. Salvatore's prized character. It's not so much epic fantasy, but more a tale of an outcast in a fantastical realm and the many other outcasts he meets. In Homeland, Salvatore paints a bleak image of Drizzt's home city beneath the surface. Exile tells of Drizzt's struggles to escape his past in the the caverns of the Underdark, and more importantly, his discovery of friendship. In Sojourn his dream of living on the surface is realized, but he's still judged by the color of his skin at every turn -- though in the end he's closer to acceptance than he's ever been.

Salvatore can be a bit repetitive at times, but his writing style is easy to digest. Long, unpronounceable names are the biggest hurdle, but the heritage and characters, whether important or periphery, were easy enough to follow. Reading was slow going at points, but at others I found myself reading 100 pages in a day. I've got two more trilogy volumes about Drizzt my mom gave me, and I look forward to getting into those soon enough. Maybe it will be a summer tradition; who knows?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition.