Mallory's Reviews > Hungry Monkey: A Food-Loving Father's Quest to Raise an Adventurous Eater

Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton

Jun 29, 09

Recommended for: yippies, foodies
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

I wanted to give this 2.5... darn this whole-star rating system.

Anyway, this book can't decide if it's a cookbook or a memoir... it's a stay-at-home dad's account of how he tried to encourage his daughter to be willing to try new foods (and sometimes succeeded!). I like food and I like kids, so I thought I'd like this book. It's a little Seattle Yippie for my taste (FYI a Yippie is a Yuppie masquerading as a Hippie - don't be fooled) with lots of accounts of going to the Asian Grocery and the Farmer's Market. While some of the anecdotes are cute and the child, Iris, is qwite pweshus, this book is just so..... white. I would love to be able to spend the time and money and energy that Burton spends on feeding his family when I have one, but it's very easy for me to read this book and be turned off by the author's privilege. Maybe that's snotty of me, and I feel bad saying it, but it's hard for me to get into a book that is so white west coast. (Apologies to white people on the west coast)
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hungry Monkey.

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim So you didn't like this book because the writer is a white guy from Seattle??? What would you think of someone who admitted disliking a book because the writer was Hispanic? or female? It's just a bit random. Matthew writes from his life - that's really all any diarist or autobiographer can really do.

Ellen I love your description of Iris as "qwite pwesus". The whole adoring daddy thing in the book really turned me off.