Oceana2602's Reviews > Unter dem Tagmond

Unter dem Tagmond by Keri Hulme

Dec 10, 2009

bookshelves: 1995, german, women-writers
Read in February, 1995

Years ago (14, to be exact), I went to school in New Zealand. While I was there, my brother send me this book as a birthday gift. I read it. At the time, I read everything, but I didn't find it remarkable.

In hindsight (one is always smarter in hindsight), I'm beginning to suspect that I would have profited more from reading this book had I been a little older, or maybe just a little less teenage drama (there was this episode about having two boyfriends at the same time, both of which were quite literally on the other side of the world, running into each other at a party. "Oh, so your girlfriend is in New Zealend, too?". I wish I could have been there. Actually, no, I was quite happy to be in New Zealand with my new single status. Oh, the drama! *is amused and a bit embarassed and yet possibly alsoa a bit nostalgic*) Clearly, my brother overestimated my teenage self.

I reread the book years later and it enjoyed it a lot more, though I mainly enjoyed the excellent points about NZ society Hulme makes in her somehow utopian world. I do think though, that I would get many more points if I reread the book today. Which I might do - after I finished reading the 100+ unread books currently on my shelves.

Meanwhile, I recommend this book to people who haven't read it yet. Unless you are angsty teenagers - your heads might be too preoccupied to understand it. Mine was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unter dem Tagmond.