rabbitprincess's Reviews > Death in the Clouds

bookshelves: agatha-christie, pilfered, 2012
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the David Suchet adaptation
Recommended for: existing Christie fans
Read from May 13 to 16, 2012 , read count: 1

It's the mid-1930s, perhaps not quite the golden age of passenger flight but certainly a great deal more comfortable than the average economy-class flight today. A small airliner called the Prometheus is flying from Le Bourget to London and counts Poirot among its passengers. Alas, poor Poirot's stomach is not up to the demands of flying and so he spends most of the trip asleep. How chagrined he feels when, just before they are about to land, he hears terrible news: one of the passengers has been murdered not 10 feet away. How could Poirot fall down on the job like that? He will just have to investigate...!

This is definitely one of Christie's sillier novels. The victim is killed by what appears to be a South American blowpipe/poison dart combination, and she is a very powerful woman with no shortage of potential murderers. Poirot enlists the aid of Jane Grey, one of the passengers on the plane, as he solves the crime with his usual aplomb, and perhaps feeling more "at home" for once, because he gets to collaborate with Inspector Fournier of the French Sûreté and enjoy delicious meals in Paris. Much as he likes England, I am sure this was a nice change for him.

Anyway, I think I enjoyed this one more because I'd seen the David Suchet adaptation just a couple of days before starting to read, so the characters were still fresh in my mind. The adaptation was for the most part faithful to the story, although some details were changed and a couple of characters were combined (in the adaptation, Jane is one of the stewardesses). Nothing serious, though; if you just watched the adaptation, you wouldn't be missing much.

Edition notes: So glad I don't own the Fontana edition. That one has a REALLY scary cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in the Clouds.

05/16/2012 page 253
100.0% "Substantially the same as the TV adaptation, but the TV adaptation made a few tweaks."