Elyssa's Reviews > Alternadad

Alternadad by Neal Pollack

Sep 13, 07

bookshelves: memoir, parenting
Recommended for: Parents attempting to redefine parenting
Read in March, 2007

A humorous memoir of a new father. The author is a somewhat successful aspiring writer who is married to an artist who is "allergic to making money" (his quote). Together they navigate their most terrifying challenge--parenting.

This is a good road map for fathers and mothers who want to challenge the old parenting stereotypes, primarily by sharing the task of parenting rather than following prescribed gender roles.

The author describes his son's development and his own development as a parent. There are hilarious stories and vignettes, the main one being his son's long biting phase as a toddler, leading to his expulsion from pre-school.

I just wish that we could put an end to parents who write about how cool they are because their toddler asks to listen to The Ramones. It seems that every "hip" parent shares this same anecdote as though this is a guaranteed signifier of alt-parenting status. It's turned into a precious cliche and it's one of too many in this book.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the book and picked up more parenting tips than I ever did from the "What to Expect" series.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alternadad.