Steph Su's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

2010935
Jun 29, 2009

bookshelves: own, best-of-10, favorites, writing-learn, evangelical-zeal
Read from April 15 to 16, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Everyone wants to discover life-changing things, whether they come in the form of events, people, paintings, or books. If you’re lucky, you will experience these encounters more than once.

I was lucky. I read JELLICOE ROAD. This extraordinary book changed my life, and maybe it will change yours, too.

To tell the truth, JELLICOE ROAD kind of ruins you temporarily for all other books. For several days after I finished this book, I wandered around in a daze. I picked up books, halfheartedly read the first few pages, then put them down and wandered away. Nothing seemed to match the magical dream-come-true that was genius author Melina Marchetta’s third novel.

It starts out confusingly. What’s going on? Why is there so much tension between all these people? Who are they, anyway? What do they want? Why are they so serious about their situation? But then, invariably, you’ll get sucked in. It’s probably a little like how the average person might fall in love: you can’t pinpoint exactly when someone became special to you, all you can say is that it happened, and you can’t even remember back to a time when they weren’t special to you.

The narration and plot progression of the book reads like a dream: choppy and distracted in a whimsical manner. Don’t expect a conventional story arc, or you’ll probably get really frustrated. Best if you just let it happen as it does.

JELLICOE ROAD reads like someone laughing through tears. I couldn’t help but smile as Taylor, Jonah, and the others endeared themselves to me even before I could figure out what was going on between them all, even as their painful discoveries about their tragic pasts tugged at my heartstrings.

A story this magnificent, this heartbreaking, shouldn’t have this much hope…but it does. That’s the beauty of this book. Melina Marchetta has written a book that is so much more than a simple story in words: it takes on a life of its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Steph Su Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Hold my hand because I might disappear.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

09/19/2010 page 59
09/20/2010 page 114
27.0% "Love the writing, not quite sure what's going on yet, lol." 3 comments
09/21/2010 page 188
45.0% "Jonah Griggs <3"
09/22/2010 page 419
100.0% "Adore this book to pieces and wish it didn't have to end."

Rosanne 'JELLICOE ROAD kind of ruins you temporarily for all other books'

Very true! Melina Marchetta is such an amazing talent, always glad to see other people who appreciate her :)

oliviasbooks Really? You hadn't read Jellicoe until now? Or is the review date misleading?

oliviasbooks I take it back. A re-read. I see.

Steph Su oliviasbooks wrote: "I take it back. A re-read. I see."

Reread. For if I want to do the Goodreads Reading Challenge, each book must feature the most up-to-date time I read said book. :)

Ariana Beautifully said: "JELLICOE ROAD reads like someone laughing through tears." *sigh*